Friday, June 4, 2010

Laugh all night

MX-80 were a post-punk band from Indiana. Yeah, that one. Apparently, they did not set the cornfields ablaze. I happened upon a live album of theirs during college and just recently pulled it out again. It comes from late in their career and has a weariness befitting a band that never got beyond cult status. I guess you can hear that somberness in this track. I find the idea of quantifying your daily allotment of laughter terribly depressing. I'm not sure if the problem is that we get so few or that the world we live in is bureaucratic enough to calculate an average. Worse is that I probably fall below that average more frequently than I ought to.

On the other hand, I really love the notion that laughing all night long is life's greatest pleasure. It helps when you deliver that news in a sad flatness, punctuated by one of the most joyless 'ha ha ha's you'll find on record.

MX-80 - 15 Laffs

No comments:

Post a Comment