Thursday, June 3, 2010

All this talking is only bravado

Milestone recognition time. Today marks 300 Songblague posts. I hope you've been enjoying however much of it you've been tuning in for. I feel it's adding up to something.

I'm gonna celebrate with a sentimental fave. I love the Blue Nile because they keep thwarting my efforts to fall out of love with them. And their music is made of sturdier stuff than it appears. There are so many ways they could sound thin, dated, over-the-top hokey. And yet, Hats is one of the most engagingly soulful records I own. And barely a non-synth instrument on it!

Here's the standout track from their debut, which has an interesting story about its origin. This tune kills me every time. It shows that it's the little decisions that separate drama from melodrama, and when you get them right, you've got magic.

The Blue Nile - Tinseltown in the Rain

No comments:

Post a Comment