Tuesday, June 29, 2010

I've built you this gorgeous house



Until a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't remember the last time I'd discovered new, great music in a live setting. Then I saw Lost in the Trees play at Bowery Ballroom and remembered what it felt like in 2004 hearing the Arcade Fire for the first time or in 2001 when I first saw Matt Pond PA. It's not like discovering Bowie or Big Star, but in some small way, this little blip of a show changes you.

On record, it's hard to hold up to that kind of expectation; unfueled by late nights and drinking and enthusiastic crowds, it sounds a bit more sparse than you might expect. Still, there's something here, and it's inspiring to be reminded that we're not too old to find the new.

Lost in the Trees - All Alone in an Empty House

No comments:

Post a Comment