Thursday, January 7, 2010

Sadness makes the vainest fools

Wow, another Robert Palmer song that's just straight-up, un-ironically awesome!? Who knew? This one came at me suddenly, and I've been holding it close ever since. But something about it keeps eluding me, like trying to discern a strange face in the dark. Maybe it's the off-kilter vocal cadence and the way the verses slide into a refrain that fills the word "want" with a most terrible desperation. His delivery still oozes Mr. Cool Expat, but there's such simmering anguish underneath, I'm amazed the tape didn't just snap in the mixing room. Meanwhile, I'm gaga for the sinister, swoopy synth moodiness, à la mid-'80s Depeche Mode. You pull that off and you get my everlasting devotion. All that and the good grace to fade at around 3 minutes...I want more!

Robert Palmer - Want You More

1 comment:

  1. I'd falsely remembered this track as being more lushly orchestrated. Turns out the melodic elements are merely indicated compared to the prominent percussive lead. Palmer was great.

    HM

    ReplyDelete