Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Sadder than bombs

It says something about music's strange alchemy that some songs stop you dead in your tracks even after a million and a half listens, when you think you've squeezed out every last drop of emotional impact. Here's one of those for me. I'm not even sure why. The lyrics are pretty plain by the Mozzer's standards, straight-up maudlin, without the sly black humor. It doesn't even bother with narrative arc.

But I guess it's the little things that do it for me—Johnny Marr being all wizardly with layered guitar parts, the understated complimentary bassline, the quiet synth doubling that comes in at the outro. Among the ranks of objective Smiths classics, this is sorta B-list. And yet...it kills me every time.



How has it taken this long to get a Smiths jam up on the 'blague?! Here's the stripped-down Peel Sessions version. Even sadder, ghostlier. Do you have a favorite?

2 comments:

  1. I want to cry! My favorite? Hmmm...depends on the day, but maybe...oh, no no no no no no no no no! I cannot choose! But maybe Sister I'm A Poet?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Solo Morrissey doesn't count.

    ReplyDelete