Friday, March 20, 2009

Party at my condo on Mars

Songblague loves krautrock. Its many forms are all sweet nectar, and I'm very excited to share my favorites in future posts. But I also love its progeny, spread out across the map, re-engineered and merged with unlikely streams. Or even just playing it straight, the way a workaday jazz combo might at your local sensible-cover club.

For some reason, krautrock is one of those things where music writers love to get super-protective of primary sources. (Maybe because most music writers know so little about music that they have to protect the little fiefdoms they've claimed.) If a band from this decade pulls off a sweet, infinite Neu-esque groove, they'll likely get penalty-boxed for cribbing from the sacred text. As though 92.5% of rock bands have the slightest claim on originality.

But back to the positive, this little gem recently popped up on shuffle and all the joy of yesteryear's innerspace utopia washed over me. Influences are worn proudly, and I'm happy to give a knowing nod right back at them. I'm liking the utopia where I throw this one on the stereo and everyone gets right on the wavelength. Party starts at 8:30 and lasts till eternity.

The Black Neon - Hollywood 1, 2 & 3

No comments:

Post a Comment