Wednesday, March 18, 2009

How to walk when it's goodbye

When you title your album Ladies of the Eighties, you're betting on a certain amount of staying power. You probably think you're destined to thread yourself deep into the fabric of your time. I love the optimism, and if you've got the chops, why shouldn't you step proud? Especially when it's so early in the decade, before the paint has dried. As it turned out, the '80s had other plans. And the paint pretty much dried overtop these particular ladies. Maybe that's why I love this period of pop R&B so much, much as I do many things that have been shown precious little love by posterity. In my imaginary movie, this is the song that soundtracks the scene right after the breakup, with the shoulder-padded heroine striding decisively down Broadway and not looking back. Take a walk with this on your headphones and tell me you don't know just how she feels.

A Taste of Honey - Sayonara

No comments:

Post a Comment