Friday, February 19, 2010

My heart's in my mouth and I'm walking on water

Bill Nelson is one of those guys who's all over the place, and yet nobody seems to know him. There are big gaps in my knowledge of his output, but I know his career has run the gamut from art glam guitar heroics to ambient layers of sound to swirling synth-driven experimental pop, with a bunch of stops in between. Not surprisingly, the catalog is pretty spotty.

But there's nothing spotty about this track. This one comes from his New Wave/New Romantic/whatever early-'80s spell, but it shows the craftsmanship of someone who spends all his time making music. Which is seemingly the case. This is the kind of pop sound I envy. Beyond being crazy catchy, there's just something classy about it, which is no mean feat considering how much air the bass take up. Another one from the Imaginary John Hughes Soundtrack files.

Bill Nelson - Tender Is The Night

Well, I'm heading out on tour for the next 2 weeks. Which likely means an unpredictable amount of free time. Which is not so conducive for daily Songblaguing. So I'm gonna have to take another little break. But Flynn might well chime in the interim to keep you up to date on current goings-on in rock. Either way, I'll be back on Monday 3/8. Hopefully with some good stories about Southern highways and other souvenirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment