Monday, February 1, 2010

Das auto

Have you noticed all the indie rock in car ads these days? Just off the top of my head: Phoenix, Ratatat, Band of Horses, Prefuse 73. To say nothing of Volkswagen's Nick Drake coup from a ways back. Now this. I think it's Cadillac that's using Peter Schilling's "Major Tom" in their spots. Except they've subbed in generic electronic 'anticipation' music and an equally generic diva. Why? The original's got a great krautrock groove and a once-in-a-lifetime hook. And it sounds awesome in the original German (I think it was the English version that netted Schilling his one hit wonder fame).

Though it hardly rates as an uninvited sequel to "Space Oddity," I
think it holds up on its own terms, Plus, bonus! The album mostly sucks, but the little reprise is a glorious piece of distinctly '80s-style space rock. Funny how people's idea of that sort of thing changed so much in just a few years. I guess you can't drift like the '70s when you're rocking these bad boys.

Also, Flynn's back tomorrow. I have no idea what she's got in store, but I doubt it'll be in German.

Peter Schilling - Major Tom (Vollig Losgelost)
Peter Schilling - Major Tom (reprise)

No comments:

Post a Comment