Tuesday, February 2, 2010

A dream that life forgot


I've kept one eye on New Zealand's indie rock scene for a few years now, and I've long been privy to the twee delicacies that one so easily finds in bands like the Ruby Suns and the Brunettes.
Still, it's quite easy to be out of touch with what's considered popular in other countries; even as I warm to the trashy inevitabilities of Ke$ha, I couldn't tell you whether she's had an impact on the international charts.

So when my best friend - who happens to reside in New Zealand - sent me a link to the following song, I got instantly nostalgic for a time when music sounded like this. I thought first about the Outfield, and then I thought about Too Much Joy, and it made my heart feel pretty good that this seemed to reside chronologically and thematically between the two. Then I realized she was sending it to me because it's one of the top 2009 singles in her country. While I've been obsessing over the latest pop jam from Kelly Clarkson and discovering a deep-seated affinity for Kid Cudi, she's been rocking out to this brazen pop-rock anthem.

Not too shabby, other side of the world.

Midnight Youth - All On Our Own

No comments:

Post a Comment