Thursday, May 21, 2009

Sunshine, lava fields, motors

I took a vacation in Iceland a few years ago; happily, it was the sunny season. Which is to say, the time of literally constant sun, except for about 45 minutes of dusk before it swung right back up. Good thing too, otherwise you wouldn't be able to properly experience the beautifully alien landscape and the weather's attention deficit disorder. It's also good because when you get your car stuck on top of a snowy mountain, not having to worry about darkness coming is a real load off your panicking mind.

Here's a tune I remember vividly from driving through the Icelandic wilds. It's car music embodied, the motorik beat reminding you that you're probably sharing the road with Germans or Swedes, though they're on a magical vacation too and everyone's sharing a dreamy enchantment with the surroundings.

Jóhann Jóhannsson - 10 Rokkstig

2 comments:

  1. This songs ends suddenly. But it is a good one, even though I don't remember getting stuck on a glacier. I remember meeting you, and smoking scrabble, and what not. I am in PA right now. And I am working back in time, catching up on the songs, keeping the Burt Bacherach songs (people play) from getting too stuck in my head. It is raining in the country side.

    ReplyDelete