Friday, May 15, 2009

Climbing, climbing

Some years ago, a friend gave me a cassette of Mike Oldfield's greatest, uh, hits, I guess you could call them. It was the guiltiest pleasure, one I would deny possessing if anyone ever made the accusation. Discreetly, I listened. A lot. Among the overblown, undercooked 20 minute epics and curious attempts at pop songs, there was this little monstrosity. Just as overblown and ridiculous, but with all the mismatched ideas compressed into a 4+ minute shit diamond, a deadly clot in the artery of good taste. I hope you will love it all weekend long.

Mike Oldfield - Five Miles Out

(Thank Jesus, Oldfield also made a video, as precious as the song itself. A must-see.)

4 comments:

  1. "Shit diamond"??

    http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/imagegallery/image_feature_1354.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and one day the exploitative shit diamond trade will be exposed.

    Nice shot. The shuttle looks a little overmatched by the giant lemon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ely, help me. I'm trying to launch a music blog here. How do you post your audio? Magic? Please email me your recipe, yelowsub@gmail.com. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's the keyboard bagpipes that really cement the entire piece together. Like The Dude's piss-stained rug, it holds the room together. And I wonder if that's Collins on drums. It's got that gated bump on the fills.

    ReplyDelete