Tuesday, December 15, 2009

I followed you

I'll admit it, I didn't think these guys would have the staying power. Then for a while, I thought of them as brunch rock, to borrow a friend's phrase. I got into YLT in the mid-'90s, so for a long time they lived in the same mental file cabinet as Pavement, Guided By Voices, etc, even though had had more charm and eclecticism than most of that stuff blasting out of dorm rooms back then.

But they just kept going, getting more assured at whatever they tried their hand at (their cover of Sun Ra's "Nuclear War" was particularly inspired.) Sometimes, they can get a little precious. Not in a fragile way, but rather in their tendency to be overly curatorial about their influences. But this one is just a good loud, pretty rocker fueled by sadness.

Have people started naming their kids Ira or Georgia yet?

Yo La Tengo - Today Is The Day

1 comment: