Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Good like my Jesus

Who doesn't love Al Green? And who hasn't clumsily tried to enlist his smooth pipes in the service of serenade? On the other hand, who thought it was a good idea to go full-on Gospel? Does getting burned by your girlfriend with hot grits really mean you have to become a pastor? I'm not sure I follow the logic. So it goes. But I think the '80s would've been a lot more tender if Al hadn't spent them in church.

I remember a couple years back, Other Music was really hot on The Belle Album. I gotta thank them for turning me on to it. It's his last secular album, and it's a weird negotiation of the sweet lovin' and the Jesus. I guess he's trying to figure out how to have it both ways, gettin' it on without
gettin' on God's bad side. My advice would've been to keep grits out of the house.

Al Green - Loving You

No comments:

Post a Comment