Friday, September 25, 2009

Song for Don Draper

I admit it, I've finally caught the Mad Men bug. I've also found myself listening to this strange tune quite a bit. They pair up nicely, what with their surface glosses hiding all kinds of trouble. It's typical early-'60s girl group fare except for, uh, the lyrics.

It's hard to figure out exactly how to read this. Is she a masochist? Not just taking her socially-sanctioned licks for cheating, but eroticizing it as well? Is there a certain romance in the violence, a love meant just for you? A comfort in stability, even if it's cruel? Or is it just a hard chunk of subversiveness, casting the whole soon-to-be-toppled order as brutality wrapped in syrupy strings? I think Don would give it all a nervous smile. Not so for Grizzly Bear.

No comments:

Post a Comment