Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Fasting goes way slow

One of the reasons I've never been crazy about the Jewish high holidays is that you have to deal with people who mistake enactment of ritual for an actual measure of Jewishness. Any rabbi worth their salt will tell you that if there's nothing behind it, you're really just playing dress up.

On the other hand, I've found that if you're gonna put yourself through a daylong fast, it helps to turn it into a little competition with yourself. Like those World's Strongest Men who pull trucks aided only by rope, an iron will, and grotesquely inflated bodies. I won't say how far I made it, but my truck made some good distance on this Yom Kippur. Yessir.

Apropos of none of that, here's a drum-o-riffic track that puts those hunger pangs in a far away place.

John Zorn - Koryojang

No comments:

Post a Comment