Friday, September 11, 2009

Heartbreak steps on the accelerator

My favorite breakup songs are the ones where you can't quite tell if the singer feels liberated or tortured when he lets loose his grief. I want to hear the triumph in this one. Releasing all the "padlocked grays" when he sings the songs he's written about the girl seems awfully cathartic. On the other hand, he vows to avoid the temptation of writing another one in order to keep the misery safely locked away. I think someone could use a hug.

I like the tremble in the guy's voice, like the uncertain confidence of confronting a bully on the schoolyard. It's matched by the barebones grandeur of the music, which sounds big but not bombastic. Nothing kicks out the jams like emotional turmoil.

Frightened Rabbit - I Feel Better

No comments:

Post a Comment