Thursday, July 16, 2009

Spitting image

It recently dawned on me that last month marked my 10th year in New York. Didn't feel too big a sense of occasion, but I began to try to recollect how that first summer felt. In truth, it was kind of lame and lost. Real post-grad drift. No job, a band nearing collapse, an ill-advised beard that shouldn't have lived past graduation day, and about 30 unneeded pounds. Sure, there were a bunch of beautiful/magical parts, but I'll leave it to future posts to reflect on those.

I spent a lot of summer '99 being sweaty and dazed, doing a lot of observing, and offering my brain up for the city's imprints. I was also quite surly - partly a holdover from college snobbiness, partly due to lack of focus. This song was pretty in tune with that stage of myself - done with old ways, but not sure what to do next. It really could've used a bridge or a solo too.  

No comments:

Post a Comment