Thursday, July 30, 2009

I feel the earth move

Greetings from LA! My work sent me here to sit in a dark room all day, but I'm parlaying this important assignment into a weekend of mellow sun soaking. I believe some site-specific tunes are in order.

If you don't own Margo Guryan's work, I'd suggest rectifying that. There's no reason why she wasn't huge. Her Take a Picture album is a sublime chunk of late-'60s soft pop that belongs in your parents' record collections, probably right next to Carol King. Sadly, it probably isn't. Life is cruel, so she moved to California, where fame continued to elude her. 

This is a tune she wrote later to combat her fear of earthquakes by imagining the shaking to be a big communal dance. Can't get more West Coast than that, mang.

Margo Guryan - California Shake

No comments:

Post a Comment