Monday, July 13, 2009

Byrds in hand

I first heard the Byrds in an episode of The Wonder Years. It was one of those scenes where Kevin experiences a life lesson to the tune of an overplayed '60s chestnut, "Turn, Turn, Turn" in that instance. While I knew there was something cheesy about it all, I was totally smitten with Roger McGuinn's 12-string sugar clusters. The harmonies were pretty sweet too.

Despite the earnest efforts of several friends, I just can't get into the countrified latter part of the band's life. But those first few albums deliver hooks aplenty, even if the lyrics are a little cringe-worthy. I think this one represents the culmination of that version of the band. Full frontal jangle, nice chords, and vox that work as music alone. Sounds like Peter Buck picked up everything he knows from this fab track.

No comments:

Post a Comment