Monday, August 20, 2012

Out on a limb

It seems the most important aspect of experimentation is the risk involved. Musicians are generally applauded for going out on a limb, but I can say from experience that it can be damn scary when you're actually out there. But anyone who tries new things balances the threat of artistic free fall with the prospect of magical breakthough. Which allows me to be very forgiving of experimental sounds that try and maybe don't succeed as well as they might. At least they're stretching people's ears.

Zs are a new music outfit that works its way through a Bang On A Can-inspired world, but are legitimately trying to carve out a landscape of their own. Every time I hear this tune, I revise my opinion of it, which I take to be a good thing. The pounding regularity of its eight-notes would be too much if they drums didn't keep upending the flow and flipping the usual expectations of melody and rhythm duties. It's a kind of mischief I can't help but smile at right about now. Tomorrow, who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment