Monday, January 9, 2012

Can't chop down a symmetry

You can almost see the in the stairwell at the Canadian food co-op where a young Jane Siberry probably pinned up her ad looking for a New Wave band to execute her proggy/coffee house aesthetic. Or that's how it looks in my most reductionist moments. In reality, I dig this stuff just as shamelessly as I do Kate Bush. This is the nerdy version of that more flamboyant allure. And I am especially loyal to it, since I refuse to follow the muse of Siberry's late career. But this is squarely in that other '80s I sometimes believe I can will into popular memory.

3 comments:

  1. This is cool. Thanks. I don't know Siberry's early geek-girl, alt-rock stuff at all, but will now explore it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I ended up making a vid. for this track (now a fave of' mine) here: http://youtu.be/vkpg0tlcAZw). Thanks again for exposing me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool. Interesting juxtaposition.

    ReplyDelete