Monday, November 21, 2011

Are you coming home this year?

I admit I was a bit wary last night when I went to see Ray Davies perform some Kinks klassics with a full-on choir behind him. Turned out I had no reason to be. He was in remarkably un-haggard shape and full of good humor as he trotted out the hits and cult hits, many of which were lifted into happily rarefied airs with all those voices. I'm squarely with all the Village Green preservationists who appreciate Davies's late-'60s pastoral zigging when so many others were electrically zagging. Which fires up a desire to drop some dynamite forgotten tracks that give a little look into a version of the 1960s that never had the chance to get Behind The Music'ed. I'll probably be sticking with this theme through this short Thanksgiving week. Here's some very un-Kinks-ish music to start it off.

Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera - Intro
Elmer Gantry's Velvet Opera - Mother Writes

2 comments:

  1. Ray Davies is and will always be the greatest songwriter, his performance at 67 years old is impressive at the least. It is more than seeing a concert, it is a true show. I saw him in Montclair on Friday, and Sunday at the Beacon, that show was the best. I hope he comes back again soon, because I've seen lots of great musicians and concerts, but nothing is like seeing Ray, a true, Rock-n-Roll legend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very true. Aside from a friend being a member of the choir, seeing Ray dance around to "You Really Got Me" was alone worth the trip.

    ReplyDelete