Thursday, December 30, 2010

2nd annual Songblague mixtape!

Yeesh, this took a while. No matter how I try to prevent it, I always get overwhelmed by choice. I love all my babies, and we're talking over 250 songs this year to boil down into a single, digestible "story." In the end, I decided not worry about equitable representation. No 2010 in miniature, just one view out of a million possibilities. If you're looking for a little bit of everything, you should just take a listen to the year in full. Backwards, of course. Or just stock up on Bill Nelson records — Songblague's obsession of the year (anything up to 1986; after that, it gets pretty spotty).

So here's your 2010 mix, featuring all of two songs that actually came out this year. (The past is always present!) Picture it double album style. Five tracks a side, which is one week in Songblague time. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it would make a pretty OK soundtrack for your New Year's party. Most of it anyway. Enjoy!

Side A

Susumu Yokota -
Tobiume
Bill Nelson -
White Sound
Japan - My New Career
Ambrosia -
If Heaven Could Find Me
Roger Miller -
My Uncle Used To Love Me But She Died

Side B
Marcos Valle - Tira a Mão
Simple Minds - Glittering Prize
Nora Guthrie -
Home Before Dark
Need New Body -
Show Me Your Heart
Superchunk - My Gap Feels Weird

Side C

Hatchback -
Midnight Jogger
Shalamar - Don't Try To Change Me
Haniwa-Chan - Sumidagawa Daisanji
The Pretenders - I Go To Sleep
Pete Townshend -
Face Dances Part Two

Side D

The Fall -
Rowche Rumble
Someone Still Loves You Boris Yeltsin - Let It Sway
Serge Bulot - Fumee
Arthur Russell - The Letter
John Stewart - Gold

Not-so-secret track (If a record could do a tastefully-chosen encore)
Cube -
Concert Boy

Another not-so-secret track (If a record could point out to the last guy at the party and the sun is now coming up and it's time for sleep)
Nite Jewel - Artificial Intelligence

No comments:

Post a Comment