Tuesday, May 4, 2010

If you've still got a fair bit of clairvoyance.




I'll be very honest here. I have a love / hate relationship with the Hold Steady - to the point where two years ago I started a blog that revolved around the very subject. Love them or hate them, this band is polarizing.

One thing they do almost inarguably well is create narrative; in their songs, characters spring to life and recur.  The narrator is almost always a good guy and there's almost always a messed-up girl involved, but within these themes the same two people might guest star. Such is the case with "The Weekenders", a sequel to an earlier track called "Chips Ahoy" that I realized I hated because it's essentially about characters that hit too close to home for comfort.

Once I got comfortable with *that*, I fell in love. Maybe you will too!



The Hold Steady - The Weekenders

No comments:

Post a Comment