Thursday, May 28, 2009

Rock the Cuban Slide

Timing is often beyond us. I first heard the Pretenders in their mid-'80s incarnation. Eh, I thought. I watched a lot of MTV back then, and they blended in nicely enough to not get too excited about. "Back on the Chain Gang" was cool, but the Cars had better videos. What a great surprise it was later to finally got ahold of the fresh and fiercely assured rock of their first album. This song is a true album closer. You want more. You can't have it. You want it even more.

My old band attempted a cover, subbing in some slinky rhythms in place of the pounding rawk, though we did all we could to preserve the excellent guitar solo. It was sounding pretty good, but then we expired, and so went the effort. Alas. Maybe one day it'll happen. Meanwhile, I'll give my pocket change to anyone who can describe/perform the Cuban Slide.

The Pretenders - Mystery Achievement

2 comments:

  1. niiiiiiiiiiiice

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, it's very difficult posting comments. I would do it every time I hear the blague. Be that as it may, the Pretenders song I prefer, for all time good listening, is... it has something with tv in the lyrics. Anger etc. Might be the same album. Can you help? Also, speaking of lyrics, could you focus a little more on wordsongs, my man?

    ReplyDelete