Thursday, August 11, 2011

New environs

I had a nightmare recently. I was traversing some sinister alien version of New York through an endless, rain-soaked night. Then I found myself on an even more sinister structure that was a hybrid of a mile-high scaffold and the Roosevelt Island Tramway. Holding on for dear life, the thing transported me from a far-flung district to some version of midtown, where all the skyscrapers looked like serrated knives. I put myself low to the ground to combat the vertigo.

I guess it's some kind of anxiety dream that comes along when you're planning on upsetting your domestic habits. I also guess it deserves a song that suggests an alien world that doesn't offer a legend. But then the notes warm up, and that harmonica comes in, and you realize you may be in your new home.

No comments:

Post a Comment