Monday, November 8, 2010

Two of these days

Last Friday's little experiment has inspired me to go full-on with musical homonyms — two songs with the same title that couldn't be more different. On the A-side, a tasty live nugget of chug-chugging, delay-fueled space groovery from the Floyd's pre-stadium days.

These guys were one of my first musical obsessions (pre-drugs, no less!) and it took a while for me to overcome an internal punk-snooty backlash that lasted most of my adult life. I think this one goes to show that there really were some good post-Barrett years. This is what you sound like before you ever hear of tax exile.
Again, chance matches up beardo '70s-ness with a treasure from my tender/prickly youth. I've often made the weird decision to put this on mix tapes for girls. It's a great song of course, just totally wrong for suitoring purposes.

I'm not sure how far I'm going to go with this homonym business, but I've got an idea for tomorrow that I'm rather psyched about. Be sure to swing by.

Camper Van Beethoven - One Of These Days

No comments:

Post a Comment