Monday, October 4, 2010

Theme Week - Dream in sound (1/5)

I've been listening to a bunch of Elephant 6 bands lately. For those unfamiliar, here's a little primer on what that circle of bands was all about. Something still appeals to me about a group of creative folks fumbling around with nascent ideas, consolidating influences, making some stuff, and then scattering out into many permutations to give their musical whims the proper attention. With some distance from the heyday of that scene, my fondness only grows.

No need to bother with descriptions of the "Elephant 6 sound." You either already know it all or you'd rather just hear the music bear it out. So here goes. The first salvo comes from Elf Power, a band as charming as their name is silly. They're still rocking it out of Athens. In fact, I saw them play a couple weeks ago, and I was happy through and through. And this song title is as good a summary as any for the whole business. Extra credit if you can identify the song they're referencing in the middle bridge section.

FYI - this week's little survey will sidestep the Neutral Milk Hotel, who I believe were kinda overrated. Feel free to argue with that assessment.

Elf Power - We Dream In Sound

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhhh I want to see a track from Black Foliage... there's like 30 to choose from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm coming to this one a few days late... but it's "Moonlight on Vermont!"

    ReplyDelete