Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Serpentine sounds

What a great weekend for music. A mere day after Friday's Rotherific flights, the Daptone soul revue touched down on Prospect Park. Obviously, the star was Sharon Jones, resplendent in a sparkling blue dress that blinded even those of us on the commoners' side of the fence. She's got the voice, and the lady knows how to do a show. But, of course, it wouldn't be half as kickin' without the be-suited Dap-Kings, who may be the tightest band on the scene today (please correct me if I'm wrong).

On top of all that goodness were the opening Budos Band, Afro-funky music for summer sweating, busting loose from Staten Island. They've got a new batch of jams, which are a little more Mediterranean, but just as hot. There's not too much to think about with this kind of stuff, although I can't help but think I wish I'd learned to play some brass.

The Budos Band - Golden Dunes

No comments:

Post a Comment