Thursday, August 19, 2010

Easy for you to say


If I’m craving to hear a song, its tune will ricochet repeatedly about my brain until I can make it to a music-playing device and satisfy my longing. If this is not immediately possible, it’s usually not long before its tune starts spilling out of my own mouth, as a makeshift measure, until a proper play can be arranged. Today’s song from Ted Lucas’s single, self-titled record released in 1976, is one that was recently added to my rotating list of 5-10 tracks that I need to hear at least once a day, and that I’ve often found myself unconsciously singing aloud, signaling that it’s time to play the record. As I’ve sung its lyrics and beautiful melody, I’ve become aware of how its chorus, “It’s so easy when you know what you’re doing. It’s so easy when you know how…” which sounds so gentle and loving, soothing and lullaby-like in Lucas’s rendering, comes across as ridiculously boastful and pretentious in my own. As though I’ve mastered the art of…well, anything at all. Ha! Luckily, one need not relate personally to this song’s words in order to enjoy it. File it under “aspirational.”

NB: Psychedelic album art by Stanley Mouse.

Ted Lucas - It's so easy when you know what you're doing

No comments:

Post a Comment