Friday, July 9, 2010

Memory doppelgänger

In some alternate version of my adolescence, I would come home, head straight to my bedroom, slam the door in a vague angsty fury, and crank Siouxie and the Banshees records. (In reality, it was usually a Smiths record and I was actually very polite with my door closing.) As a variation within a variation, let's say Siouxie was replaced by these English synth rockers. And let's say my name was Simon, and I grew up in a generically suburban place where modifiers like 'shore' and 'beach' weren't used in the names of the local strip mall shops.

These days, hearing music that sounds like other music from years back makes me think less of those sources and more about all the little differences that accumulate enough so that the alternate history seems so tantalizingly untouchable. And yet, part of me keeps trying to claim ownership of those other lives. Hmm...

All that aside, this song wins big points not just for its icy, yet full-throated catchiness, but also for rocking it out in waltz time. Thanks to the always excellent Mutant Sounds for posting their debut EP.

Indians In Moscow - Big Wheel

No comments:

Post a Comment