Monday, March 14, 2011

Rumble by clockwork

You can say what you will about the Police (I still say they were awesome; we can debate it later), but I will tolerate no slander on Stewart Copeland's drumming. Rarely do you find a percussionist who completely owns his/her style, where the more people imitate it, the more it shines. I should know. His were some of the first tricks I stole when I was 14 and learning to play.

Given the results of his erstwhile bandmates' solo endeavors (I believe Sting is still lost in his Fields of Shit), Copeland's film soundtrack work really does stand up. And, of course, how could I not have some love for drummers successfully stepping out of their comfy domain. His score for Francis Ford Coppola's
Rumble Fish is a total winner. The music combines the best parts of Copeland's kinetic nervy drumming with artfully clackety-clack mechanical samples and a noirish melodic sensibility. It makes for a perfect audio analogue to the movie itself, which is also pretty great, in case you haven't seen it. You can hear a lot of those elements in this track, the title of which notwithstanding, bears absolutely no resemblance to this sweet number.

Stewart Copeland - Tulsa Tango

No comments:

Post a Comment