Thursday, December 24, 2009

Christmas in New York

Ah, the Yuletide. Most years, I find myself with plans fallen through or neglected, spending Christmas day in the emptied-out city. Not having much use for the holiday itself, I tend to happily drift through town, enjoying the hush and exodus. It lasts just long enough to get into some good alone-time reflection before actual loneliness can set in.

This song came to my attention in a bar in Tel Aviv. Hey, why not? Having since heard Elliott Smith's original, I like this one much better. And I think it aptly suits my Christmas mind. Sure, it's maudlin, but it's pretty like cold air and tiny lights.

Madeleine Peyroux - Between The Bars


And, special for Christmas, a friendly note on appropriate holiday behavior. With love from Songblague.

Reverend J.M. Gates - Did You Spend Christmas in Jail

1 comment: