Monday, June 1, 2009

Obsesión

Happy June, dear Songblague listener. Balmy days are here, so why not be in the spirit. Today's selection presents you with the dynamic duo that has been the object of my near-constant auditory devotion since my man TPK hipped me to them more than a year and a half ago. Like some kind of magical gum, the sweetness refuses to fade.

Anyone who's been in my orbit lately knows of my not at all ironic affinity for this kind of stuff and for the worlds it so easily synthesizes - sleek utopian krautrock, cosmic disco, shaggy a.m. gold, mellow fusion, dollar bin treasures, and a fantastical California of the mind. I don't know, all those threads have always been there, but these guys have taken them and fashioned a beautiful balearic locale that my ears want to escape to any chance they get. I know some folks roll their eyes and say cheese. I only hope one day they can hear what I'm hearing.

It's hard to pick a single superlative track off their Coastlines album, but here's one that's been making lots of little rainbows in my head lately. Songblague recommends getting your hands not only on their work but on the solo adventures of messrs Hatchback and Sorcerer as well. A sunset rubdown by any other name.

No comments:

Post a Comment