Friday, February 1, 2013

Ladies and pheasants

When Dungen burst onto the scene (in the US at least), frontman Gustav Ejstes seemed a man out of time. Or at least one so devoted to the range of vintage psychedelic practices that one would think he had spent his whole life in a very particular academy. Since we pretty much live an environment of neighboring nostalgia bubbles, there's no point anymore in picking at people for lack of originality. Given that, I was totally sold on the songwriting and presentation, which was as faithful to Ejstes's notion of the ideal late '60s as it is a reminder that the music was never as tight as he imagines it. I'm glad his imagination keeps going, album after album. The work is a real comfort to me, especially now as I struggle with what seems like trench warfare against this cold that is brutalizing my nose and throat.

No comments:

Post a Comment