Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Covered in tattoos

Sticking with cover tunes and things tangentially related to jazz. Petra Haden (daughter of famed bassist Charlie Haden) had the fun idea to cover the entirety of The Who Sell Out using only her very flexible voice. Gimmicky? Sure, but if you've got range and a sense of humor, I say go for it. Also, the effort foregrounds the mischief and warmth of the album itself despite Pete Townshend's big rock narcissism.

This tune is funny, and also a little sad to me. Less the song's fault and more my admittedly fuddy-duddy distaste for the cringe-worthy ink I see on nearly every body around. I'm already bored of tramp stamps, ankle butterflies, full sleeves, and neck tributes to babies/grandma. Stephen Wright joked that he had a full body tattoo of himself, except 2 inches taller. Who's laughing now?

Petra Haden - Tattoo

No comments:

Post a Comment