Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Devotion knows no boundaries

I dislike Interpol. Always did. Which is not to say I didn't like some of their songs. Hard to resist, the first album anyway. They stole directly from good sources and executed with studied competence. I guess it was the suits and haircuts and smug, self-serious posturing that put me off. Seemed a little heavy-handed for what was essentially a covers band. Then they went away.

And then I hear a band like this and those guys bug me all over again. Though unfortunately-named, this long-running Cleveland act spent a bunch of unheralded years doing solid, angsty basement indie rock, peppered with a Rust Belt take on Ian Curtis's low intonations. Not to get caught up debating whether it matters which wanna-bes came first, but I have to go with the guys who spent a lot less time admiring themselves in the mirror.

My Dad Is Dead - Boundaries

No comments:

Post a Comment